He was born on 2 January 1906 in Lwów, died 1 May 1988 in Toruń. He was a Polish painter, graphic artist, drawer ana long-time director of the Department of Decorative Painting at the Mikołaj Kopernik University. Between 1926 and 1933 he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków, at the studio of Władysław Jarocki, Ignacy Pieńkowski and Teodor Axentowicz. In 1933 he moved to Paris to study at the studio of Józef Pankiewicz. From 1934 he was a member of the Society of Polish Artists "Sztuka" ("Art") . In 1945 he started working as an assistant at the Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków. Since 1949 he has been a professor of painting at the Faculty of Fine Arts of the Mikołaj Kopernik University in Toruń; in 1969 he started to work as a director of the Institute of Monuments Science and Conservation and the Artistic and Pedagogical Institute. Since 1953 he has also been a lecturer at the State Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk (currently the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk), where he ran the Painting Studio at the Faculty of Painting. In 1955-1964 he was a dean of the Faculty of Painting. Co-founder of the association "Grupa Toruńska". (1958). In the years 1950-1953, he worked for the State Academy of Fine Arts in Łódź (currently: Academy of Fine Arts in Łódź) where he served as rector and ran the Studio of Perspective and Handwritten Drawing.